When Real Madrid destroyed reigning champions Bayern Munich convincingly, many believe that Madrid are going to be proclaimed champions of Europe once again and for the 10th time. The hugely impressive 4-0 win at Alliance Arena was even truly convincing. And no other than the Ballon d’Or winner, Cristiano Ronaldo sealed the game with a very clever free kick just outside the penalty area. Though it was simple but very brilliant, I would say, as he cleverly took a low shot under the wall as they jump to supposedly block the shot.
What was truly surprising is that Sergio Ramos stayed on the pitch without a booking or wasn’t sent off in a very high profile match. But I tell you this, that’s not all there is because the first two crucial goals of Real Madrid came from a very unlikely player and that’s no other than Ramos again. Then the history books were re-written again as CRon scored his 15th Champions League goal that sent a shocking note to the home side as they are already down 0-3 in just 34 minutes yet.
So here are some interesting facts ahead of the Champions League finals between Real Madrid and city rivals Atletico Madrid on 25 May in Lisbon.
- Real Madrid were beaten 1-2 in last season’s Copa del Rey finals right at the Santiago Bernabeu.
- Real were beaten again 0-1 at the Bernabeu again in La Liga this season.
- Then a 2-2 draw at the Vicente Calderon in the return fixture.
- It will be Atleti’s first Champions League finals in 40 years.
- It will be the 17th time that two teams from the same country met in European finals.
- It will be the second time for an all Spanish final in the Champions League.
- But it’s the first time in European Cup competition that features team from the same city.
And many believe that Atletico Madrid will continue to defy the odds and could cause yet another upset. However, let’s not forget also that Real Madrid convincingly knocked out Atletico in the final four in Copa del Rey this season. The 5-0 aggregate is quite huge and I don’t know how different that is in La Liga competition. So see you in Lisbon.
Image from redgunners/fanshare.
- Real Madrid Hopes for Treble
- The Quest for La Decima is Over